I could seriously eat pasta 24/7. I love all of the different shapes it comes in and how many unique ways you can pair it with veggies and proteins to make countless dishes and never get bored.
For the longest time I thought I had to give up pasta if I wanted to lose weight and tone up. I constantly cut it out my diet trying to go carb-free and ended up feeling so deprived that I would end up bingeing on it and feeling awful after. I wasn’t seeing the physical results I wanted because I kept putting my body in shock every time I would do this and it was confused and I constantly felt bloated and puffy. Over the past 3.5 years I have taken a hard look at my nutrition and started learning about different ingredients, what foods make me feel the best/worst, and learning that if I eat all food groups in the right balance I can have everything I want, feel amazing, and see results.
When it comes to pasta specifically I have changed over to eating either whole grain, gluten free, and even chickpea or lentil pasta. These varieties of pasta typically have more protein and haven’t been stripped of so many of their good nutrients. I have also focused in on managing my portion size and if you have been following me for the beginning of 2018 I have been on an 80 day fitness in nutrition journey where I have been practicing timed nutrition.
Timed nutrition was an adjustment at first because it did require more food planning and prep than I typically do but when making sure I have food to eat every 2-3 hours (eating 5-6 times a day) while working full time I needed to have everything ready to grab and go! It was an adjustment the first two weeks but eventually I found my rhythm, got a good handle on how much food I needed to buy each week so I didn’t waste anything (or not have enough), and got super speedy in my prep! I usually prep 2 times a week on either Saturday/Sunday and again on Wednesday which helps me have variety in what I am eating and keeps me from getting bored – my KEY to staying on track! Now that I got through that uncomfortable time of learning and being a little outside of my comfort zone in my routine it has made my life SO much easier is something I will continue to do for the rest of my life. I have noticed the biggest improvement in my energy levels from eating this way. Because each of my meals includes the correct balance of protein, veggies, carbs, and healthy fats my metabolism is running at an optimal level which has prevented any mid-afternoon energy crashes for 3 months straight. It has also given me more energy to power through workouts and increase the weights I use that I have never been able to do before.
What I love most about this nutrition plan is that I can eat pasta. I am eating pasta with at least 1 meal a day and then the rest of my carbs come from either sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, beans, lentils or sprouted grain bread. I am in legit foodie heaven yet I have the results you see below!! Eating to fuel your results is real!!
Since I am constantly on the lookout for new pasta brands I was excited to come across skinnypasta™. This high-protein, low-calorie and low-carbohydrate fresh pasta has amazing texture and taste which I find extremely important when choosing which pasta brands I eat. If it’s mushy after cooking it just won’t work for me and skinnypasta™ has the perfect al dente texture and it cooks up in 2-3 minutes because it is fresh! They also offer low-glycemic, vegan, gluten-free and other allergy-sensitive options as well. Today’s recipe features their HIGH PROTEIN Fettuccini and I will be creating another recipe using their SUPERFOOD Teff Penne which is gluten free to have ready to share with you in a couple of weeks after all of my travel I have going on!
I love a creamy flavorful pasta sauce but my waistline can only handle it on occasion so with this recipe I wanted to create a healthy alternative by making some key ingredient swaps and Creamy Pesto Fettuccini with Brussel Sprouts and Bacon was born! This recipe as NO cream and NO cheese – crazy right? But I promise you all the flavor is there and you will feel completely satisfied after eating this.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and give skinnypasta™ a chance to help you #NourishPassion in your life! If you make this recipe snap a picture and let me know how it comes out by tagging me on Instagram.
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 10oz fresh brussel sprouts, [i]halved[/i]
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice [i]**If using fresh, it’s the juice of a half a lemon**[/i]
- 1 box of [url href=”https://gkskinnypasta.com/product/high-protein-fettuccine/” target=”_blank”]skinnypasta™ HIGH PROTEIN Fettuccini[/url]
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- Pink Himalayan Salt and pepper, [i]to taste[/i]
- Cook the turkey bacon in a skillet until crispy. Drain on a paper towel and crumble once cool. Set aside.
- Wash and halve the brussel sprouts. Heat the olive oil a skillet over medium heat and add the brussel sprouts cut side down in a single layer. Cover with a lid and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover and add 2 tablespoons of water but do not touch the sprouts. Cover and cook for 2 minutes more. Uncover and toss the brussel sprouts with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- While the sprouts are cooking bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the fettuccini and cook according to package directions (2 minutes) until al dente. Drain and reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water.
- Add the pasta back to the pot. Add the brussel sprouts, bacon, pesto, and greek yogurt. Add the reserved pasta water as needed until the sauce gets to the consistency you prefer.
If you are curious about the 80 day fitness and nutrition program I have been following, are looking to join my next online bootcamp and have me as your coach, or just have general questions please fill out this form and I will reach out to you within 24-48 hours!